Monticello Main Street and the City of Monticello have teamed up for the last four years to offer Facade Improvement Matching Grants to Monticello businesses. To date, many businesses have received funds--generating over $890,000 of improvements to building facades in Monticello.
Monticello Main Street administers the program and offers design assistance, while the City of Monticello provides the funding. The purpose of the grants is to stimulate efforts to improve the street appearance of Monticello's commercial and business facades. Grants are available for all businesses, and are NOT limited to those in the downtown area.
There is a $3,000 maximum per grant which must be matched by the applicants. The total grant amount for each fiscal year is limited, so the grants will be awarded on a first-come first-serve basis and will be limited to one application per business per fiscal year. Following is the the formal description and application for the Facade Improvement Matching Grant Program and a link to the actual application form which you can print out.
This matching grant facade improvement program has been implemented to stimulate efforts to improve the street appearance of Monticello's commercial and business facades. The program has been funded by the City of Monticello and will be administered by Monticello Main Street, Inc. There will be a $3,000 maximum per applicant which may be under one or more grant applications, which must be matched by the applicant. Grants will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis and will be limited to one application per business per fiscal year. Each application will be reviewed by a committee consisting of the Chairman of the Community Development Committee of the City Council, the Main Street Program Manager, the Superintendent of City Services, and a representative from the Design Committee of Monticello Main Street, Inc. An architect can be made available for review and when applicable an architectural review may be required.
Qualifications for Grant Application
- The property must be in the (B) business zone within Monticello city limits.
- Applicant must be the building owner.
- Grant monies must be used for street facade (visible from the street) improvements such as paint, lighting, window repair or replacement, masonry repair and appropriate signage, as approved by committee. Sidewalks, driveways, parking lot surfaces and striping do not quality for facade grant monies
The following steps are necessary to apply
a. Current photograph of property to be improved.
b. Drawings of proposed improvements.
c. Written description of proposed improvements, including materials and colors.
d. Preliminary estimate of costs.
- Application: The following items must be submitted to the Main Street Office before review.
- Preliminary Approval: At this time, there will be an on-site inspection of the property with applicant(s) and grant committee to review application. After this inspection, the committee will make a preliminary decision on the status of the application.
Final Approval & Payment:
Applicant(s) must submit final contractor itemized bid within (3) months of application, accompanied by cancelled checks or bills marked as paid. The committee will determine if the project qualified for final approval.
At this time, the final payment request will be presented at the City Council meeting for Council approval. The City Council meets on the 2nd and 4th Mondays of each month.